"We Don't Lose Friends, we Just Learn who Our Real Ones Are"

One of the hardest lessons I had to learn and still to this day have to struggle with is that not every relationship that comes in your life is meant to stay with you in your future. 

Knowing when to let go and even recognize when a relationship is hurting or preventing you from growing is often not very clear.

If the only thing you could offer a friend was friendship would they still be there for you?

If a guy knew he wouldn't be getting lucky with you tonight, would he still hold a conversation with you? 

After always supporting their endeavors, would they be there for you when you worked on yours?

After having their back and going against loved ones, would they have your back during difficult times? 

 After always making time and a priority for them, would they do the same for you? 

I learned the hard way that the answer to all these questions for a lot of people I came across was, No.  That shook me to the core and really hurt me.  As someone who doesn't look for selfish gains when befriending someone, I didn't understand for a long time where they were coming from. 

Accepting that there are people who have different values than myself who are going to cross paths with me is something I'm coming to terms with.  People have different priorities in their life and if I'm not one of them, that's ok.  At the end of the day, most relationships come and go, but the real true ones are the ones that stick through thick and thin.   

Instead my efforts are puts towards things and people that I can adamantly answer yes to those questions.  It's amazing to have relationships that don't have strings attached that isn't rooted on what the other person can gain, but instead is about supporting each other.   

In a world that is so focused on how many followers or friends you have on social media, it doesn't mean $hit at the end of the day when you're going through a hard time and all 600 of them are nowhere to be found. 

Consider doing some "spring cleaning" on your relationships.  As Marie Kondo would say, if it doesn't spark joy, thank it and move on with your life!         


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Pie: A Big Bite of New York Lands in LA

Izakaya Bincho: A true "Diamond in the Rough"

An Innovation that is Pure Genius!