LA Mill : Coffee Hater turned Coffee Lover

I was recently introduced to LA Mill in Silverlake and I literally felt like I've been living under a rock for the past two years in Los Angeles.

DSC03519

I hate Starbucks, well....maybe "hate" is too strong of a word, but I most definitely dislike them. Any given time you go to Starbucks you're met with crowds, a long wait and finally leaving with an over sweetened drink that is bound to result in a root canal in the near future (hence why I rarely even bother with their coffee). Forget even trying to get any work done here because with kids screaming, eyesight buzzing due to lack of lighting, and of course the need to nearly come off as a creepy stalker to get a table that is less than the the size of a large pizza. Yeah, no thank you!


Upon entering LA Mill, I knew I would love this place. With its modern chic decor from the light turquoise chairs paired with white counter tops and the gold chandelier at the center of the room, all I could think of was "Wow" and "Hm....maybe I could incorporate some design aspects in my future house?"

DSC03516

Blanco y Negro: iced coffee with vanilla bean ice cream
It was by far my favorite drink of the day. Ideal for a hot summer afternoon where the strength of the coffee is perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the vanilla bean ice cream. I only wished they served this in a larger glass.

DSC03503 DSC03502

Iced Mocha- Mocha had a nice strong flavor and definitely a good option for those who don't like their coffee too sweet, but iced.

DSC03510 DSC03508

French Pressed Coffee- This method of preparing the coffee definitely brings out the excellent rich flavor of the coffee even more so. Accompanied by cubes of white and brown sugar and cream for those who don't like their coffee black.

DSC03513

At a table next to us someone had ordered the siphon to brew their coffee which basically looked like a chemistry experiment and left me glossy eyed, mouth open for the few minutes that it was processing. I'll definitely want to order this the next time I stop by.

DSC03501

With the dessert menu designed by none other than Chef Michael Cimarusti and Pastry Chef Adrian Vasquez of Michelin-two-starred Providence, I had to give them a try.

Passionfruit Gelee- Lychee sorbet, coconut soy milk soup, and basil seeds. Such a perfect balance of all flavors with no one flavor overpowering the other.
I absolutely loved this.

DSC03507

Liquid Center Lollipops- White chocolate. I decided to go with white chocolate even though you have a choice between white and dark chocolate. Having being warned to just pop the whole thing in my mouth or the liquid inside might drip onto my clothes, I did just that. These little puppies are unlike anything I've ever had and what the liquid inside is a mystery. All I can say is it's definitely not what I expected and I wanted to order more.

DSC03506

So even being a non coffee drinker myself, after visiting LA Mill I just might need to reconsider my stance. Perhaps it was Starbucks that was giving coffee a bad rep all along.

DSC03520

LA MILL
1636 Silver Lake Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(323) 663-4441

LA Mill Coffee Boutique in Los Angeles

Comments

  1. The photo with the chemistry experiment: guy or girl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin- Beats me, but I think that was a girl...hehehehe, you never know.... =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I "initiate" someone to LA Mill, I always insist they get a liquid lollipop -- but yes, I'm totally in love with this place, plenty of classy dishes and drinks, but great casual atmosphere and less wallet damage (well, compared to the usual fine dining restos where dishes like these would've been served.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This place looks soooo cool. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I am a hardcore sweets eater. And I LOVE the desserts from Providence. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. H.C. - Yes I agree about the liquid lollipop, a definite must order!

    Cathy- You haven't been? You must go ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog! It has such a cool city look to it too :)

    I love the passionfruit gelee at La Mill but for some reason have yet to try their special coffee drinks - I've been sticking to chai latte thus far but the one you had with the ice cream definitely looks good for this summer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live nearby and have heard alot of great things about this place--just hard to stray away from our trusty cafe sua da (vietnamese iced coffee) but we'll have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Pie: A Big Bite of New York Lands in LA

Izakaya Bincho: A true "Diamond in the Rough"

An Innovation that is Pure Genius!